Northern Skyline

Lower wooded portion of the trail.
I decided to go for a quick ride on a Saturday afternoon up the Northern Skyline Trail.  It had been a long while since I've ridden the trail, but its one of my favorites.  The trail is steep and rocky with switchbacks for the first three miles to the ridge.  The first bit is in the shade of trees, but most of it is exposed which resulted in a sunburn for me.  Heading back down this trail always flies and is a blast, although I twice kicked up rocks that left dings in my shin.
Looking down on a switchback

This particular ride I only went 2.3 miles up, but when I was about to load my bike I discovered I had lost my water bottle along the way.  I turned back for it and ended up find ing it almost at the point where I turned around, changing the ride to an almost nine mile trip.  One of my more interesting sights on the second trip was a pair of hikers with a herd of goats!




View over the valley from a switchback
Looking south
Riding up a rocky technical spot
Coming back down