Green Canyon - Snow Biking 101

When I went into the bike shop to ask about good winter trails I was shot an incredulous look and told that winter riding doesn't exist in Logan - there is way too much snow! Eager to disprove the assessment I set out in the morning on the end of snow filled first week of December up Green Canyon. At the conclusion of this journey I was able to take home several lessons of my own.

First, riding in the winter in Logan is not impossible. You may not be able to make it quite as far, and it may take a lot more time, and it requires a lot more clean-up, but it is definitely doable (at least this early in the winter).

Second, riding in the winter in Logan is very difficult. The steeper uphills often require a hike a bike, you spin out often, it is difficult to stay on your bike, you have to pedal harder and faster to go slower than you do in the summer.

Third, the trail must be packed down a little. The only rideable areas were where the trail was packed down, and the farther up the trail I got, the less packed the trail became, which meant that I wasn't able to ride as far as normal.

Fourth, if I can't ride up it, I can't ride down it either. I figured that downhill would be a lot easier, but if I wasn't able to get traction and go up it, my bike would struggle to get any momentum or movement going down as well.

Fifth, related to the others, is if you don't stay on the packed trail you will probably do an endo. Going down I had several endos because I didn't stay on the narrow packed trail as well as I should have, which resulted in my bike doing a flip because the front tire sunk deep into the snow!