Grand Canyon: 2008 Day 1 - Becoming an Annual Tradition

As much fun as it was to go to the Grand Canyon for the first time in 2007, it was possibly even better to go back the next. At this point taking an annual biking trip in the first weekend of June to the Grand Canyon became somewhat of an annual tradition. My Uncle Brad has done a great job of organizing everyone, getting everything together to make this a real fun trip for everyone.

I'll admit to being a bit apprehensive to start this trip - physically I was not prepared and had only been on one or two rides in preparation for this. My circumstances as they were led me to be somewhat distracted and preoccupied (I got engaged about a month prior to the ride and was having a wonderful time spending quality time with Mallorie) so that I didn't get out for much riding that entire year.

As it turned out though, my endurance held up quite well and it turned out to be a very pleasant ride on both days.We lost a few from the group this year, and gained my cousins Brock and Jason and five new St. Georgians. A few of the riders spent quite a bit of time driving the vehicles from point to point this year as well.

The first day we did a somewhat shorter version of the Rainbow Rim Trail again on the first day. We also continued the tradition of having a camp cooked meal of spaghetti, with french bread smothered in some of Uncle Brad's garlic spread, followed by another beautiful night under the stars out on the rim of the Grand Canyon.