Grand Canyon Reruns: 2009 Rainbow Rim Trail


Learning from my unpreparedness of last year, I made doubly sure that I was in shape for this year's ride - I think I went on a two to three rides a week from April on, yet when all was said and done I think I was just as tired.

We had a few new people join us this year - my cousins Cade and Brad joined us, and Uncle Kerry rejoined us again this year. Brad and Cade left us all in the dust for most of the two days of riding. This was also only a couple weeks before Chet would leave for his mission to Canada.

This year the ride was unusually cold - a lot of us wore long sleeve shirts, and the wind was going hard enough that we didn't even sleep on the rim this year - we went down into the forest a bit deeper where the wind wasn't as bad, and we were still freezing. You either huddled around the fire, or you went to bed early and snuggled down.

We also had an odd amount of flat tires - one of the truck tires started going flat, and then quite a few of us, including myself, ended up with flat tires along the way. However, none of this put a damper on the riding and we had an absolute blast!


Shot heading down one of the really green spots on the trail. You do a lot of weaving in and out of green forest and then back out to incredible vistas of the rim.